Popular on PrZen
- Additional Talent Announced For Cov-Aid™ 10-Hour Streaming Charity Event on Giving Tuesday, May 5
- Mask Company Wants To Give Away Protective Masks
- EdTech Startup Solves Biggest Challenge With Remote Online Testing
- Hilton Garden Inn Destin Miramar Beach, FL Opens
- Icecat profit increased sharply by 56% and revenues by 9% during 2019
- Coronavirus risk may depend on throat bacteria, according to inBiome group study
- Make Friends with a Houseful of Spiders in HARRY'S SPIDERS
- Lee Enterprises Consulting Adds Hemp/Cannabis Expertise to Team
- Meet nect MODEM: Green and Safe Portable LTE Modem with Ultrafast Connection Speed
- Cov-aid Announces Partnership with DoorDash To Donate Meals to Those In Need During 10-hour Streaming Charity Event on #GivingTuesday, May 5
"In this strange and grim time of COVID-19, we need to reach for and retain the parts of our former life wherever we can," said Cynthia Maciejewski of Neue Auctions. "Luckily, we still have online auctions, and the trade in ﬁne and rare and interesting goods can continue. We're doing our best to manage selling and shipping to customers as well as serving our consignors."
Maciejewski said the April sale is bigger than originally planned. "We put everything scheduled for the May auction into the April sale just to be safe, because the future is so uncertain," she commented. "Our tagline - 'Auctions Evolved' – is certainly coming true as we recreate our business model to continue working while social distancing. We're living in a different world."
Collectible books from the family of a Civil War general and an antique dealer's personal library are certain to appeal to bibliophiles. Included will be rare children's illustrated books and books dedicated to Civil War and related military themes, American history, government, slavery and abolitionists, American geology with fold-out maps, and rare ﬁrst editions, including leather sets.
Presidential and militaria items will be led by an autographed letter signed by Ulysses S. Grant, a letter signed by Woodrow Wilson, George W. Bush autographs and collectibles relating to the Civil War and World Wars I and II.
The antique maps category will be highlighted by Willem Janszoon Blaeu (1571-1638) Valentia c.1662, Gales and Hurricanes, from the Admiral Perry expedition of 1855, as traced by William Redﬁeld; and Disposition of the English and French Fleets at the commencement of the Action, August 1st, 1798 from the memoirs of Lord Nelson. Other desirable maps will also be offered.
Rare, highly collectible books will include a collection of works by Helen Bannerman, Little Black Sambo volumes, Andrew Lang's The Brown Fairy Book and others, as well as 17th and 18th century books with maps, including The Ladies Flora, with a dictionary and glossary of botanical names by Richard La Galienne, with 18 hand colored plates. The in-depth study of ﬂoral lore, literature, cultivation and home and medical use has a pre-sale estimate of $100-200.
Other noteworthy books include Histoire De La Guerre De Mil Sept Cent Quarante Et Un by Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire (est. $100-$150); a Book Regarding the History of the Constitution with Anti-Abolitionist Tracts; Slavery in American History (est. $150-$300); and three 19th century books regarding privateers, naval combat and Lord Nelson (est. $100-$200).
"If we can't be free to ﬂy as we're used to, we might as well study our feathered friends from our shelters through ornithological prints," Ms. Maciejewski commented, referring to a collection of Amsterdam Edition prints from John James Audubon's book Birds of America, in nine lots, double elephant folio size (est. $200-$400 per lot). The book was published in 1972 in an edition of 250 on high quality watermarked Holland wove paper of 100 percent unbleached cotton rag.
Also up for bid will be first edition (1840-1844) and second edition (1856) Royal Octavo plates from Audubon's The Birds of North America From Drawings made in the United States and Their Territories; Edward Lear's (British 1812-1888) Black Kite, Milvus Ater, hand-colored lithograph, printed by C. Hollande (British 1789-1850) matted and framed (est. $200-$400); and three Pierre Joseph Redoute hand-finished plates, each with an estimate of $2,000-$3,000.
Other lithographs will include John Gould's (British 1804-1881) Short Eared Owl, 1832-1837, from Birds of Europe, hand-colored and printed by C. Hullmandel (British, 1789-1850 est. $200-400); and four framed reptile lithographs in decorative frames from Emory's Report of the United States and Mexican Boundary Survey by William Emory, Reptiles, 1859, matted and framed in eglomise and gilt hand-painted decorative tortoise shell pattern frames (est. $400-$600).
The many antique engravings, lithographs, etchings and original works in the sale include examples by Rembrandt, Cantu, Hollar, Mahn, Guerard, van de Velde, Holden and others.
The catalog also contains library furnishings and accessories from a distinguished gentleman. Items from his freestanding Cleveland Heights, Ohio personal library include the following:
- A pair of extraordinarily comfortable Scalamandre upholstered fabric sofas, to be sold separately and both in like-new condition (est. $1,000-$2,000 each).
- A pair of table lamps and a ﬂoor lamp after those designed for the New York Public Library, by Carrere and Hastings, architects of the library, having bronzed baluster bases with brass shades (est. $150-$300).
- A gorgeous pair of Italian walnut Baroque style side tables with octagonal tops raised on quadrilateral baluster bases carved with foliate form and scrolls, raised on paw feet (est. $600-$1,200)
- An antique dictionary with original iron and oak stand (est. $150-$300).
Along with library work tables, torchiere lamps and other furnishings, Neue Auctions is also oﬀering unique collections such as colorful handmade custom leather cowboy boots, presidential autographs, Cleveland sports memorabilia, antique collectible toys, antique medals for riﬂe shooting from the 1930's and a wide collection of American and European knives and weapons.
Well-known knife makers include Joe Kious, Ted Miller, J.I. Cottrill, Parker, Boker, Henckles, Kebar and Kershaw. Antique bayonets, daggers and swords will include pieces by Hoﬀritz, Eikhorn and Weyersberg, plus a Spanish military bolo machete, all from the same collector.
Internet bidding will be provided by LiveAuctioneers.com, Invaluable.com and Bidsquare.com. Phone and absentee bids will also be accepted. Virtual gallery previews will be held via the Neue Auctions website, at www.newueauctions.com. Phone and absentee bids will also be accepted.
To learn more about Neue Auctions and the Saturday, April 25th online-only auction, please visit www.neueauctions.com. Updates are posted frequently.
About Neue Auctions:
Neue Auctions provides a bespoke experience for sellers and buyers, with all items presented fully guaranteed and vetted, and combines regular online auctions with selected art exhibitions and educational opportunities. Offering consignment services for single items or entire estates, Neue Auctions gladly assists clients in the complicated process of settling estates and general downsizing, working with private individuals, as well as trusts, estates, banks and attorneys. In addition, Neue Auctions continues the long-standing history and tradition of art collecting in Cleveland by bringing fine works of art to the market for sale, encouraging both the current and next generation of collectors. Neue Auctions is always accepting consignments for future sales. To inquire about consigning a single piece, an estate or a collection, you may call Cynthia Maciejewski at 216-245-6707; or, you can send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
23533 Mercantile Rd. #119
Beachwood, OH 44122
Filed Under: Books
Latest on PrZen
- Art of Brooklyn Film Fest Powers Interactive Digital Edition with New Tech
- Author Matthew Neill Davis Relaunches "The Art of Preventing Stupid", 99¢ on Amazon Kindle - One week only
- Pirate Chain Creates Worlds First Z to Z-only Mobile Wallet
- INI and CTIntegrations Create Secure Payment Solution
- Dr. Gordon Isbell, III, Past Chair American Dental Association, ADPAC Board Appointed Co-Chairman OCI Dental Advisory Board
- ChainUP: Providing Next Generation Crypto Asset Solutions
- Lineus Medical Completes $1.25M Series B Tranche 1
- Amazon Bestselling Book Our Stories: Our Voices Great Gift For Father's Day
- Ignite Entrepreneurs Initiative to Empower Chicagoland's Entrepreneurs
- WMA Foundation Helps California Mobile Home Owners
- East Coast Match™ Announces a $10,000.00 Professional Matchmaking Giveaway
- MegaFans and Black Dog Gaming Launch Charity eSports Tournament for USO West
- Lantek launches version 2020 with focus on remote working and process efficiency
- Palomar Display Products, Inc. awarded a $3.5M order for gunner displays
- Jet Medical Tourism® Cites Report Saying Bariatric Surgery Works, But Millions of Eligible Patients in The Heaviest American States Cannot Get It
- Walzik Announces Automated Interface Between Dynamics GP and Strategic Movements
- NS4ed Partners with New Mexico to Maximize the Perkins V's Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment (CLNA)
- Over 400 CEOs Have Benefited from CEO Coaching International's Free Coaching Call Offer
- Point Pay LLC, The First Blockchain-Based Bank in The World
- Veronica Vitale Composes The Prayer That is Unifying Nations in Response to Covid 19