Popular on PrZen
- Webull Hit With Class Action Lawsuit over GameStop Chaos - 136
- AUA College of Medicine Signs MOU with University of Maryland Eastern Shore - 106
- Nationally Recognized Entrepreneur Tere Tatiana, Statesboro Native Returns to Help Aspiring Entrepreneurs Enter Lucrative Trucking Industry
- Ellis Announces Winners of 2020 Ellis Customer Experience Best in Class Award for Resident Surveys
- Zuora CEO Headlines Keynote Speakers at Optimal: The AI Conference for Procurement Teams
- Techspert Services IT Support is now available in Tampa, FL
- Petition to include atheists in refugee policy gains momentum
- NLX-112 Restores Motor Function in a Transgenic Model of Spinocerebellar Ataxia
- ProStrategix Proud To Announce Being Chosen as a Top Web Design Agency by DesignRush
- LGBT Near-Death Experience Researcher Seeks LGBT Near-Death Experiencers for Online Survey as Part of New Study and Book
Journey with her.
Underemployment sucks! How I Wish Prerequisite to Adulting 101 Was out As a Kid!! I did what they told me to do. I went to college. My parents saved, so I did not have to take out loans. Quoted Shelton
She did not graduate on time; however, she did well enough to score an "A" on her college internship, what was Shelton thinking? Some thought it was a dream come true; while others thought she lost her plum mind. However, all of her friends thought she was living life and rich! Was it living in base housing, was it having a new Accord?
Everything my mom & dad told me to do, I did!--Shelton
Fast forward 5 years, Shelton found herself on 146 st and Amsterdam Ave NYC looking for ways to break into an abandoned building so she could find shelter to sleep—or at least, use the bathroom.
That dingy abandonmium was hers, it was meager but Sheltons. It was not Base Housing, but it was home for her. She would use the superintendents' cherry-scented pine cleaner (that they left in the hallway) and tried her best to sanitize and make it bearable.
The Fall and Spring months worked well; but Hunny, come, Winter and Summer, those extreme months...no goods. It was during this difficult stage of homelessness, unemployment, and underemployment that Shelton developed the habits and skills that would help her land an opportunity that would turn into her dream job
Survival of the fittest created a strong sense of hustle, I had to begin my education all over again. If I wanted to succeed, she had to fully understand the need to succeed and the need to win..but how? Shelton traded homelessness for an abusive relationship, that was the worse, It seemed that she would most rather the bench and that abandoned Brownstone as opposed to the busted lips and blackened eyes.
LaSean wondered often what did she miss while at College, like which part flew over her head, which class would have given me skills to be better equipped because certainly, she missed the mark. Her primary goal was to make her family proud, live the American Dream and follow the plan, go to school, get married, have a kid, get a badass job, retire then die.
It looked like her life was out of order and death was not supposed to be on the chopping block, at least not just yet.
Hiding from her family, she began spiraling out of control; she medicated pain, and was losing herself, no longer did she did recognize herself and something had to give...then one day.
Someone told Shelton to read more and more daily...but how? She borrowed books from friends, got a library card, and read magazines that were left in the hallways. The internet was still young at that time, the little man was still running across the screen for goodness' sake...Because of her financial situation (dead broke), She couldn't afford Coaching, mentorship; but all she heard was that mind is a terrible thing to waste commercials in her head and her dad recapitulating LeVar Burton's tagline, The more you learn the more you earn...
It was then that she landed a Counselor Training Program that kept her focused, then she earned a CASAC and grew like crazy until, she capped her income, close to 6 figures; and yet Shelton did not feel fulfilled. I fell in love and it was the epitome of unconditional. Salaam and Shelton met during an insane period of their lives... welcoming their son prior to this success, they thought we were living the life and was rich because they had more than others.
Coupled with Shelton's mother's passing, she felt empty. But refused to give up, she was not going back. Shelton remembers taking out her Blackberry, looking for space on the calendar to see if she could start building a business, It was like she busting working ridiculous hours for someone else; however, she did nothing for herself. So she started an LLC, E8gcreight Enterprises, and quotes:
"I did not know WHAT the hell I was doing. I just knew that it felt good to own a business, It earned about 8k that year, and then I learned more about being a biz owner and tax codes and more, Salaam was so proud of me, I was proud of me...it was like life was finally happening."
Soon, she lost it all; she had a travel agency and made one dangerous move and it was gone, all of it. The 6 figure goal that she was back on track to earn was gone; because of one wrong decision. Rule number one in business, trust no one that is not certified and vetted near your books.
Embarrassment and shame were the words of the day; especially after what she endured, Shelton did not want to hear my name for anything!!!
She again found herself on the brink of depression, especially since she had to go back to traditional work. Besides her children, Salaam was all Shelton had, even those that "had her back" withered away and distance themselves. Yet, despite her skills, she was underemployed,
It just seemed like ends refused to meet--it was not like I lived above my means, it just meant that I needed help!
So I looked up different ways to earn online. Then I wrote a blog! I did not stay committed and before long, back to the classifieds, I went.
Reluctantly, she did, and within 3 years, they laid her off, furloughed, or the last one hired, first one fired. NEVER in all of Shelton's' working life did she get released under NO circumstance. They let her go 3 different times and boy did it knock the wind from out of her, the car accident did not help any either.
Shelton then figured, losing your job can be traumatic. But it can also be the New Beginning to the rest of your life story. Then her book was born...The authors This masterpiece is from a collection of dedicated Entrepreneurs that finally left the 40/40/40 Club 'CONGRATULATIONS! YOU JUST LOST YOUR JOB' shared journeys from Employees to Entrepreneurs. SO, Congratulations You Just Lost Your J.O.B If you were struggling THEN, well you know the rest! Read about the joys of not having a J.O.B situation- Just Over Broke or Juggling Overdue Bills. The epitome of being underemployed; but at an old age.
When Shelton wrote this book, she actually spoke from experience and it is her hope to optimistically enrich someone's life by pushing them towards their dreams! Little did she know that she was awaking the champion within herself and others, especially now! Soon, she felt the Authorship bug...then wrote How About a Lifestyle Change
This book shares new insights, case studies, and "lessons learned" from those that struggled with some form of addiction.
Filed Under: Travel
Latest on PrZen
- NY-based Chamber Creates Virtual Expo to Support Black Businesses Feb 26
- Multi #1 International Best-Selling Author Jennifer S. Wilkov Hosts the Sold-Out The Next Bestseller™ Workshop Virtually for Writers
- Pastor Tracy S. Williams Talks Sex and Relationships in Her Debut Book: THE GARDEN EXPERIENCE AN ABSTINENCE HANDBOOK FOR GIRLS
- Sugaring: The Green Juice of Hair Removal
- Ideanomics Announces Its Membership in CALSTART
- Global Electric Vehicle E.V Charging Station Market Report 2019-2035 by Goldstein Market Intelligenc
- Global Digital Therapeutics Market Report 2019-2035 by Goldstein Market Intelligence
- Concerned Citizens of South Central Los Angeles Send Open Letter To Biden Administration
- Sandline Global Fortifies World-Class Executive Team: Glenn Hopper Joins as Chief Financial Officer
- Non Pneumatic Tires Market Analysis 2017-2030 by Goldstein Market Intelligence
- Syxsense Announces Integration with Microsoft Office 365
- Launch of Trace One E-Sourcing Will Boost Retailers' Private Label Speed to Market
- New Video Streaming Startup, Relax Scenes, Launches Indiegogo Campaign to Support Their Expansion
- Bronx DWI Lawyer Announces New Website
- Recording Artist "Cherne" Crystal Brown auditions for Sony Music, Atlantic Records and Capitol Records and it doesn't stop there
- Honorary Oscar-Winner Charles Burnett brings his award winning film on COVID-19 / Black Hollywood to the Prestigious Pan African 2021 Film Festival
- In a year of recession, Lantek closes 2020 with record sales figures and customer numbers
- Processed Meat Market Report 2017-2030 by Goldstein Market Intelligence
- OTR Tires Market Outlook 2017-2030 by Goldstein Market Intelligence
- Next Generation Vaccine Market Forecast 2017-2030 by Goldstein Market Intelligence